I Welcome You, 2017!


It's almost New Year again. How time flies so fast, eh?

For me, New Year is like a fresh start. It's like opening up doors of chance and going all in. Or out.
Traveling with friends, traveling alone, exploring a brand new place, checking some things off of my bucket list, experiencing something for the first time, starting a new hobby, meeting new people, getting to know myself even further, trying to finish something that I already started...
LOTS of things I can do.
I'm excited.

By the way, I just finished reading a novel titled The Architecture of Love by Ika Natassa a few days ago. That novel makes me dying to go to New York! Someday I will! Wait for me, NY!
Anyway... In that novel, the main character, Raia Risjad, once said that New Year's Eve celebration is a false sense of turning a new leaf. Because calendar does not decide when you are going to change your life for the better. You do.
It's true. I agree.

That's also the reason why I stopped making New Year's resolution a few years ago. I thought I don't need making a list of many things I want to change in my life but then forget all about it in the next day.
But I guess that's because I listed too many things, I didn't focus on what I really want. So, last January I started making it again. Not exactly on the first day of 2016, but yeah I set up some goals, accompanied with one of my best friends.
I'm only succeeded 2 out of 3 goals, tho. But that's okay. I thought I need some kind of trigger or motivation to make a change in my life. And apparently, I changed a lot with those 3 goals I tried to complete. And along with it, there's a lot of things going on that changed me too.
And I'm so thankful for that.


Anyway, people said that there were a lot of hatred, depression, disappointment, death, and stupidity within society in 2016. Like it's a mistake. So, I guess it's okay to celebrate the end of this disappointing year and the start of a new hope in this new year, right?

So, maybe you agree with Raia, too. You don't need a New Year's Eve celebration, or the remarkable New Year's kiss, or New Year's resolution, or all those other New Year's traditions. Because you think it's a false sense, because you think it's ridiculous, or because you think you can change your life for the better any day.
But maybe you'd like to make New Year's resolution like I did. Maybe it helps to give you motivation.
You know what? Just go with whatever works for you, guys. It's your life anyway. ;)

I am utterly grateful for the people and experiences that made this year feel better for me.

Happy (almost) New Year, everyone! Cheers!






(Photos by Barn Images' Weekend in Turin)

Comments

Popular Posts