Simple Things for Our Planet


Are you familiar that World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 and World Oceans Day is celebrated on June 8 every year? You might think it's too late to post about it now. But just like what Davina Veronica said, World Oceans Day is everyday! So is World Environment Day. Davina is an Indonesian environmentalist and founder + CEO of Garda Satwa Indonesia (GSI). I've been following her Instagram for awhile now. She's so inspiring, you should follow her too :)

Both World Environment Day and World Oceans Day make me think, how can we celebrate it?

For me, the ocean is kind of frightening. Like, whenever I'm in the middle of the ocean and I'm looking down to the dark water, unknowing the depth of it makes me anxious.

But it is also calming at the same time when I'm on a boat or chilling on the beach or feeling the waves brush my skin. I guess that's why I love the ocean so much. The way it's frightening yet calming and refreshing.


It makes me sad that I read a lot of articles stating that everyday the ocean is getting dirtier and more dangerous for the animals to live in. I think it's not just me, it's all over the news.

And looking at this National Geographic cover is so heartbreaking.

(Source: National Geographic)

I haven't gotten the chance to read it but I'll try to find it in the bookstore soon.

The ones to blame are humans, of course. Us. There's no need to question that. According to The Irish Times, over 70% deep-sea fish have ingested plastic. And it's our fault.

I'm not going to post disturbing pictures of dead fish and mammals that died because they ingested plastics. But for those fish and mammals, the ocean is their only home. So, why don't we do our best to help saving their home? You don't have to be an animal-lover to do that. You just have to have the heart for those innocent living beings.


What can we do?

You don't have to be a vegan. It might be great but don't rush if you're not ready. Simple thing matters. Refuse using single-use plastic and choose reusable bags, cups, or even straws instead. Also as an ethical human being, don't litter in the ocean or the beach or anywhere. Seriously, we don't live alone. In the ocean or on the land, there are many others living being around us.

It's never too late to start. I just started to bring my own shopping bag and straw + chopsticks made of stainless steel that I can easily clean and reuse. And I'm trying not to forget to bring them with me whenever I go out.

How about you? Have you done anything good to help saving our ocean and our planet? Share it in the comment! You might inspire other people too 😊

Comments

Popular Posts