LOVE

"Intense love does not measure, it just gives."

I quoted those words from the exquisite Mother Teresa because I totally agree with her. And yes, people, this time I’m going to write about love.

I have some kind of an issue by the way people around me thinking about love. It’s like I’m the only one who thinks differently. It’s not that I’m bragging to be incredibly unique or something. I just think this is so weird. Is it me who is so naïve or is it the other people who are so… selfish?

Here’s the thing: they always think they can only love people who will love them back. So they have to make sure these people will love them back, and then they will continue to love these people after that. For example, one of my friends tweeted this a few days ago:

“Most people think of doing things to people they love.
1. Do you really love ‘the people’?
2. Do ‘the people’ really love you?
Think twice.”

That’s so goddamn odd to me! Why don’t they realize that they can also love people without expecting anything in return? Isn’t love about giving? Isn’t love about that happiness of seeing your loved ones happy? Isn’t love about that grateful feeling you have just because your loved ones exist, and you just can’t wait to thank them for being them by treating them well?

If I had to answer those two questions above, that would be:
1. Yes, I’m pretty sure.
2. Hell, I don’t care.

No, it’s not called a one-way love. It’s simply called love.

And of course, we don’t know yet if we’re doing the right thing by loving them or not. But how can we know? I believe in that method “learning by doing”, so the only way to know if we’re doing the right thing or not is by doing it… loving them. And then we’ll know.

Lily Aldrin of How I Met Your Mother sitcom once said (and this one is one of my favorite lines):
“There are certain things in life where you know it's a mistake but you don't really know it's a mistake because the only way to really know it is a mistake is to make that mistake and look back and say, "Yup, that was a mistake". So really, the bigger mistake would be to not make the mistake because then you'll go your whole life not really knowing if something is a mistake or not.”

So, if it turns out to be a mistake, learn from it. Don’t be afraid to love someone. Don’t think too much about what they’re going to do in return. Is it going to hurt you? It might be. But as what Bob Marley said, “"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."

With love (and laugh),
Z

Comments

Popular Posts